In love with Celebrity.

28 01 2008

You’d like to be a writer. You’ve joined forums to make new friends and learn new things. Every now and then you get together with other like-minded souls who also all want to be writers. You join a writing group. You write things, you get mostly positive fedback, and things look cosy.

Then people get used to your face and your name, and start trying to involve you in politics.

ALARM! ALARM!

Here’s a fact, writerlings: Almost all published writers and working editors are absolutely fantastic, lovely people. I cannot stress this enough. They are human beings just like you or I, so may have the occasional off-day, but I guarantee you that every one I have ever met is genuinely warm, caring, and varies from cordial to downright friendly.

But here’s the peculiar thing: Surrounding writers are fans, and fans can have a very, very peculiar outlook on the world. And 90% of fans are also lovely, fantastic people who simply enjoy reading or watching productions of the writer’s work. And it’s the other 10% that you need to watch out for.

I’ve met many writers whom I’ve been pre-warned about, and in every single case the warning failed to live up to the writer. I was told one writer was a sex-crazed pervert who attempted to sleep his way through his entire fanbase. The man I met was a little shy, genuinely pleasant company, and devoted to his other half. I’ve also been warned that another writer was, I quote, “a complete and utter c*nt”. When I finally met him he was a lovely chap. Needless to say I’m still in touch with both, and neither of them have attempted to seduce me or stab my eyes out.

They’re just two examples. I could go on, but you get the idea. If anyone tries to “warn” you about an author, an editor, an agent, take it with a pinch of salt unless it’s backed up by hard fact (dodgy vanity “agents”, for example). Make up your own mind.

Why do they do it? I can’t say for sure, but I suspect it’s posessiveness. If they can warn you away from their writer, they get to feel more important, because only they are “close” to the target. They defend their position as head of the fan pack by putting others off wanting to even talk to the head honcho.

Writers don’t need sycophants. What most of them would like is to be able to meet people, go down the pub, have fun with friends, without having to constantly talk about that book they wrote or what they’re working on for next year.

So try not to get lured in by that charismatic yet bitter 10%. The world’s not really the way they tell you it is, no matter how persuasive they sound. And you could shoot your own career in the foot if you fall for their manipulation and snub someone who could help you in a couple of years’ time.

If you want to be a professional, act like a professional.

Advertisements

Actions

Information

4 responses

28 01 2008
writingiswriting

Well, I’m not a fantastic, lovely person. I guess there are some exceptions 🙂

28 01 2008
Trudi Topham

Sure you are, you just refuse to accept your loveliness 😉

30 01 2008
Russ

True, dat. For instance, I’ve had emails from both Simon Scarrow and Bernard Cornwell when I asked them to have a look at my book “Gladiatrix” and both wrote back in a cordial and friendly manner. I revere these guys as great writers, people I really look up to and who have inspired me – I’m a massive fan of their work, and here I am exchanging emails with them. As you say, they are like you and I – only with bags of talent than I have!

Cheers

Russ

31 01 2008
Ed

Have to agree. Not met a writer who wasn’t at least friendly, even when I have admitted to either not having read or not being a fan of their work.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




%d bloggers like this: